Back to JulieFranzen.com

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tom Poulin clinic at Karousel Farms

Over the weekend, I went to watch my friend Paige ride in the Tom Poulin clinic. Paige is working with a young horse she broke herself. This was the first time he was faced with people and new things in his home indoor arena. They did a great job. It was fun to watch. Tom was able to really help them address some of the struggles a young horse throws your way when you really want to show off the progress you have made. It is fun that Paige and I are in the same place. We did young riders together, and now we are with the young horses at the same time. It is great to have someone who knows what they are doing and is going through some of the same things to talk things out when a problem occurs.

I was able to also to go my barn and ride Gram. Saturday was a great day. I really hadn't planned on much beside continuing working on my seat. Jen offered to come out with the whip to work some half steps. So what the heck. Gram really started to understand the sit down part. We were able to get about 3 great strides to the right, and one great stride to the left (her weaker side). We called it good after that. On Sunday, after I warmed Gram up, Jen took over. It was so fun to watch her be ridden. Gram looked better than I thought she would. There is something different about watching your horse go live and just watching a video. Maybe because I start to over analyze the video, and when it is live all I can do is appreciate a moment. Jen did a fantastic job with Gram. Gram is so long she requires a whole ton of half halts to constantly re balance. Basically my back is always sore when I take some time off and then ride again! Jen is riding my baby today because my work has me traveling tonight. I am excited to hear how she went.

No comments:

Post a Comment