Back to JulieFranzen.com

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Darn that elbow

After catching up from our vacation, I was able to spend some great quality time with Gramarye. I had the day off on Friday, so I had the rare opportunity to visit the barn when everyone else is there! So Friday- Sunday Gram got worked. She was great. We are really trying to work on our straightness. Since she is a big and long horse, it is hard for her to constantly use her self properly especially when going to "our" weak side, the left. I wish I could say that it is her fault, but after riding through things I realized that I am still rusty and get crooked to the left, so I use the term "our" to really mean me. It starts with my Elbow. I have had this elbow problem as far back as I can remember. Every trainer I have ever worked with has many times said to me, "LEFT ELBOW IN!" My left elbow wants to fly away on me, and I realized just this year that it starts from a wet noodle wrist! I have been working on it, but it is the bane of my existence in dressage.

Basically my noodle wrist bend in instead of maintaining a straight line to the bit. This noodle effect causes me to bow my elbow, which in turn causes me to sit funny, and my left shoulder collapses and rolls forward pushing me completely off my right seat bone. One of my favorite tricks to stop this domino effect is to turn my neck to the right and look at the horses rear end. Oddly it works, if only for a moment, it forces me into the correct position.

So most weeks are devoted to Gram and getting her better. This week I will be focusing on my position. Tonight will be a light workout for her. I will work on my position. No stirrups, rising trot and sitting, elbow, wrist, hand. I will not care what she looks like, I will work on me not blocking her or causing her inside hind to fall out behind. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment